Android 4.0.3 update for Motorola Xoom tablet has start to roll out for a week. Sadly, this update is exclusively available for US version of Motorola Xoom. It is still unclear when the official update will be available outside US, but if you want to taste the Ice Cream Sandwich earlier, we’ve got some interesting stuff for you.
In order to port Android 4.0.3 into the Motorola Xoom WiFi, you’ll need to flash to different files into your tablet. Thanks to a XDA developer member known as iohyitchun that able to grab SBF file from Motorola China. Then he able to extract the system.img and boot.img file that can be used with Fastboot. It is said that camera and HDMI ports are working perfectly with this port. There’s no problem while he trying to synch his Gmail account, contact, and Calendar.
Before we start the installation process, you have to makes sure that the bootloader file of your Motorola Xoom WiFi is already unlocked. Then you have to root it first. When you’re done with it, navigate to Settings, pick Application, choose Development, and finish with USB debugging. These steps will enable the USB debugging mode. Next, make sure that the battery power is charged at least 70%, in order to avoid some unexpected interruption. Finally, download and install the Android SDK file into your computer.
When you’re done with all that stuff, we can start the installation process.
1. Download the Android 4.0.3 firmware for Motorola Xoom WiFi
2. Extract the .zip file. You’ll get two different files named as system.img and boot.img. Move these files into the same folder where fastboot.exe is currently located.
3. Turn off your tablet and prompt it into recovery mode.
4. Make a nandroid backup and turn off the Xoom once again.
5. Remove your SD card from the tablet.
6. Plug in your Xoom into the computer using an USB cable.
7. Press the power button and press Volume + button few times until you prompted into bootloader.
8. Click the start, type cmd and press enter. This action should launch a command prompt in your computer. Next, you have to type the directory address where fastboot.exe, system.img, and boot.img are currently located.
9. Now, you have to enter the following command lines and end each command with pressing the enter key.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
10. After the last command entered, your tablet should automatically reboot and it will worked under Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich.